Thursday, April 28, 2011

A night of Flamenco: April 10th

The more immediate roots of Flamenco music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamenco) come from the 18th century and the Spanish gypsies but when you hear the music, you know in your heart (and I do not use this word lightly) that this amazing art form took light long before this.
On the last night of the Wright’s visit, the four adults (I use this word lightly when applying to myself) went to a restaurant called Postigo at the base of the Arab Castle (Castillo) that sits atop Salobrena for Flamenco and sunset. The restaurant offers fabulous views over the city and out to the snow-capped Sierra Nevadas which were quilted with the pink of the setting sun. After combining this setting with Rioja (I know…common thread), we would have tolerated a tribute band that specialized in Paris Hilton’s classic hits. Instead, the night only got better.






The Flamenco group, which featured a guitarist, a singer, a dancer, and a guy that that did some rhythmic clapping, a little singing, a little guitar playing, and a lot of facial gestures. We called him the never-ending “groupie” but my guess is that he was much more than that. To use a sports analogy, he was your consummate utility man ala Steve Tasker of the Buffalo Bills – the type of guy you just can’t keep off the field / stage.
They started with some soft guitar music. As the music picked up, the singer joined in and belted out sounds that had to originate from deep within. Abandoning my silliness for a moment, I wondered to myself and the table, how someone is able to control sounds that come from so far below the larynx. Did he get this skill from a parent, a grandparent an uncle….Did he have to train or was this gift simply bestowed to him? Much the way that words are secondary in opera (I have been to the opera twice in my life), it did not matter what he was saying.
Needless to say, when the dancer joined in, I became even more mesmerized. She changed her costume for each of three sets and the group finished with the pace and passion of their magic at a crescendo. I was so overwhelmed that had Angie not stopped me, I would have tried to book them 25 years in advance for Anika’s wedding.
It was a small enough venue that we were able to tell them in person how much we appreciated their talents and the wife of the guitarist teaches Flamenco so Angie and Anika will be taking private lessons!!

No comments:

Post a Comment